Monday, August 23, 2010

Whimsical Girl's Desk

Okay, this isn't about the free desk.  That is a work still in progress.  This is about another desk that was given to me for free.  My mother-in-law was getting rid of this little child's desk and asked if my hubby or I wanted it.  My hubby said yes.  At first, I was a little hesitant because it needed a little TLC.


This was the perfect opportunity to try out my new paint sprayer I picked up at the flea market.  So, before I got started I washed down the desk.  Then, gave it a quick sanding.  If I had felt a little bit more confident with the sprayer, I would have done a better job sanding.  I was for sure that I was really going to mess it up.  Anyways, it isn't perfect but this is the desk after I used my paint sprayer.



Not too bad.  I don't know about you but it felt a little bland.  I mean this is for a 3 year old after all.  Where is the glamour?!  So, I tried to channel my inner David Bromstad from Color Splash.  I just love him.  Okay, just know that I have a secondary mathematics education degree not an art degree.  Have a look see:



So, what do you think?  I free handed it.  David Bromstad makes it look so easy but then again he doesn't have a 3 year old trying to comb his hair with a foam paint brush does he?  Okay, enough with my excuses.  I think it adds a lot to the front, but the inside needed a little something too.  I took some scrapbook paper and foam board to add a little punch on the inside. 



I loved how it turned out.  I can just see my daughter sitting there already.

Please, let me know what you think!  If anyone has suggestions on how to work a hvlp gravity feed paint sprayer, I can use all the tips you can give me.  I especially need suggestions on how to thin and use primer with the sprayer.  As well as tips on how to thoroughly clean it.  It appears mine was made in China and came with almost nonexistent instructions.  

I'm linking up to the following parties:

 


The DIY Show Off





I'll be editing to add links to parties as the week continues.

17 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE what you did! I really is pretty. I have a paint sprayer, and my husband keeps using acetone to clean it. (using pure water after I am all done just doesn't seem to do the job) He puts a little in cup with water and sprays it until it is gone. I think the worst part of owning a paint sprayer is cleaning it. I googled my brand of paint sprayer to get the users manual and/or any reviews or tips, that seemed to help. Miss Mustard Seed is really good with a paint sprayer, you might want to check her blog for tips. Love the free hand design and the inside of the desk, you did a great job! I am getting ready to do a free hand design on a dresser, I hope it turns out as nice as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great! The paper on the inside is a great addition and really pops against the white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I LOVE it!!! I want to sit at it too haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awsome transformation!!! My mom just bought a new desk...I am thinking she should paint it and make it prettier. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The desk is beautiful! You did a great job. I have one just like it. . .I have been waiting to re-do it. You have inspired me! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love it!! It's so cute! Great job on the cherry blossoms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I love the painting on the outside and how you brought the same theme of the birds inside the desk too. Darling project!

    xoxo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this looks fabulous! You did such a great job free handing the front, even while having your daughter playing with your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks amazing!! Glad I stumbled on your blog today....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just saw this featured at Tatertots and Jello and I can't believe that drawing was done by free hand! The colors are great but it's the lovely branch and paper inside that really makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a lovely desk.

    -Nicole
    www.craftmysoul.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a desk just like that!!! OO i want to paint it now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This turned out sooo cute! I love that you freehanded the art - fantastic!

    Would love for you to stop by tomorrow and link it up to Passion for Paint!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww this is a cute desk you did!!! Great job!! I love that blue and the paper you added!!! http://thislittleshabbychicvegangirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a rolltop desk that I'm itching to paint, but I don't have the guts yet. This certainly gets me closer to doing it though. It looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete

I would really enjoy knowing what you think. I love getting your comments!

Followers

Search This Blog