Monday, July 19, 2010

New Look for French Settee

I love french furniture.  I have admired this settee from Wisteria forever. 
With the the low, low price of only $1,399.00, I know you're thinking how can you not get it.  Right?!  Well, the pay for a stay-at-home mom is not in monetary currency just emotional currency.  So, I always scan Craig's list for furniture.  I stumbled across this settee for $112.00 just after Christmas.  It isn't quite like the one above or the other antique french settees I've drooled over that are way out of my reach.  This was as close as I think I will be getting.

                       

My mom had given me $100 for Christmas.  So, really it only cost me $12 plus tax.  Once I got it home, boy did I have plans for it.  Then, reality hit that maybe I just should start with a slipcover instead of tackling reupholstering it.  I have a problem with fabric commitment.  So, I made a slipcover of white canvas.  Before this, I had only made a chair slipcover that I have already posted about here.  This one was my second and seemed much easier for some reason.  Anyways, here is the end result:

Now that I have lived with it for a while, I think I am ready to tackle reupholstering it.  I was thinking of sanding down the wood to get the look of the Wisteria settee above.  My biggest dilemma is what kind of fabric to go with.  I am thinking of chocolate velvet or an inexpensive linen fabric if that exists.  Please any help, ideas, and/or advice regarding the wood and/or fabric would be appreciated.  Before you mention it, no I have not reupholstered the chair.  It has foam and batting on it but I'm still procrastinating.  I'm linking up with :















Photobucket

   














Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special
Edited to add link parties.

14 comments:

  1. It's fabulous!!!! I too have commitment issues. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where can i come buy it??? that is ADORABLE!! i love it. i don't think you need to reupholster it as it has so much character with those adorable pleats! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I love your slipcover...great job!
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! You did a fabulous job on the slipcover!
    I found a settee on CL for my dining room a while back and can't wait to have it reupholsterd...I don't sew.
    Londen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great deal. It may not be exactly like the Wisteria one, but it's so close it hurts. Just overstuff the cushion and it could be a sister!
    Debbie
    P.S. I'll be happy to pay you $113 for it and let you make a profit! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty sofa - you are so funny about fabric commitment :). I don't think I'd go with the velvet, it would go against the pretty feminine lines that drew you to it in the first place. I'd go with the linen if you really want to emulate your inspiration piece. If you deviate from that, maybe a large scale damask...

    I'm crossing my fingers that you'll link this and your previous MMS inspired bench to Fabric Fun Thursday. You do such great work, really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just adorable!! Did you use a pattern for the settee? Or did you create a pattern? You could make money selling the slipcovers. :)


    Katharine @ Kat's Almost Purrfect World
    http://katspurrfectboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done a beautiful job slip covering this piece. Just a thought, you could go for a the warmer look with the chocolate velvet which would be gorgeous in the cooler months and keep the slipcover for your spring/summer look. How versatile! You are very talented..way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is beautiful! I love the pleats. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice slipcover! I have a similar shaped settee. I sew and and after taking upholstery classes, I started the upholstery process and ran into some problems. You can read my settee story here I handed it over to a professional and chose a neutral linen fabric. I will make a slipcover so that I can change the look as well. Like you, I have commitment issues. I love chocolate brown, but I say go with a neutral linen and change the look with pillows and your slipcover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is gorgeous! The lines are really similar to my own Craigslist sofa. It realllllly needs a slipcover, too. One more thing on the ever growing to do list :)

    You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a great eye...the setee has lovely lines. You did a fantastic job of slip-covering it! It looks great! Love the box pleats, BTW.
    I came over via Donna's SNS party.
    Have a great day!
    ~ Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree you did an excellent job with that slip cover, especially since it only your second time at making slipcovers! If I were going to upholster it I would go as close to the pic re colours and fabric. Actually I have a 3 piece vintage lounge waiting to be reupholstered but too must wait as it's not a cheap job and will probably go for a nice linen. take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing find!!! its only missing the middle support leg! but its soo closet to the first Picture!- i think linen would be grand-or an outdoor-indoor linen type fabric thats easy to clean and will wear well since you have kids-(easy cleaning) ballarddesign.com or homedecorators.com will give you fabric inspiration

    ReplyDelete

I would really enjoy knowing what you think. I love getting your comments!

Followers

Search This Blog