Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Imitation is a form of flattery!

I have been inspired by Mustard Seed Creations grain sack ottoman found here.  I found this great footstool at the Goodwill for only $4.99. 

I know, not pretty, but I have plans.  First of which is to get rid of the vinyl material with questionable sticky residue.  Here are the fabrics that I peeled away:


I'm thinking that perhaps it graced a roller rink in it's original 70's orange vinyl.  It made me want to put on some of those rented, brown skates and get a disco ball out.  Since I was missing all of those things, I continued on.  I dug out some fabric in my stash and recovered it.


I bleached a drop cloth and painted on some red stripes with craft paint to get that grain sack feel.


Noticed that there is freezer paper I placed under the fabric while I taped and painted on the stripes.  I then cut out a skirt for the footstool.  I just have to say that gathering a canvas drop cloth for a skirt is messy!  It unraveled a lot!!!!  
 

I know it isn't like Miss Mustard Seed's just yet.  So, I tried to rock out the initials.


If you checked out Miss Mustard Seed's ottoman post, you will notice that she painted the initials.  Well, it took me 2 days to build up the courage to paint on the slipcover.  I mean I just spent time making it, could I really paint initials?  I knew for sure there was no way I could free hand it.  I printed out the initials, taped it to a window, and traced it onto the slipcover with a pencil.  I will warn you, your arms may start to feel a slight burn.  If you look closely, you may see a pencil mark here or there.


Over all, I am pretty happy with the result.  I am a wanna be Miss Mustard Seed!  I hope I will do her proud!

I will be linking up with:


Visit thecsiproject.com, Blue Cricket Design, , Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden


 Editing post to add links to parties.
, giveaways,

Decor Mamma


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

15 comments:

  1. I like it! The initials look great! I think it's a great transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that turned out great! I would be so scared too to do the initials after all that hard work! But it turned out great, and for the price wow! I just love Miss Mustard Seed too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks terrific - nice job! I wanna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I just did this tutorial from MMS on my blog for a grainsack pillow look. Stop on over and check it out!
    http://newlyandbecky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it and I would love if you would link this project up over at my blog http://www.thetshirtdiaries.com‘s Upcycled Awesome linky party – http://tinyurl.com/Upcycled5

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful job...love this!!! I've been planning on bleaching out my drop cloths too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go girl! It looks terrific. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You did a great job.I could never do the initials to look like that!
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it. I think you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that is such a great idea!! Bleaching drop cloths and painting the stripes on and the letters! You did a fabulous job. I am so excited to try this too. I just finished re-doing our master bath and spray painted the faucets and making curtains...(its on my blog) so I am taking a little break...but I may hop over to my local thrift store just to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to rescue that poor little footstool! I think I sat on that orange vinyl stool at Roxy Wheels :) What a beautiful transformation! Love the pleated skirt and initials!

    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found a footstool on the side of the road that needs a re-do...a faux grainsack may be just what the doctor ordered! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a positively gorgeous job. You must be totally proud!

    Donna
    http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. That turned out fantastic! That poor sad footstool now looks chic and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I would really enjoy knowing what you think. I love getting your comments!