At first, I wasn't up to reupholstering yet. I did the next best thing. Enter the slipcover:
I loved how it turned out. I would have kept it like that forever but the smell just would not leave this chair. So, I had to do this:
The diamond tufting was playing head games with me. It looked so complex. How could little old me do that?! Well, I pulled up my sleeves and got to work.
The tufting wasn't nearly as hard as I made it out to be in my head. It took twenty buttons. It was a little tricky here and there. I redid a few buttons to try to get the best diamond tufts I could. This is what the back side of the chair looked like without the final fabric.
The hardest part of this chair upholstery project was using curve-ease, otherwise known as pli-grip. Much to my dismay, I found that my stapler was to wide to staple on the curve ease. So, I had to use the old fashioned way, using upholstery tacks and my tack hammer. The back didn't quite turn out as I imagined. You can't tell by the photo but the top isn't very crisp. But, as they say, it is as good as it's going to get.
Lastly, I had to wrestle with making the seat cushion. It was a little tough using this fabric. I used a linen fabric from JoAnn's apparel section for about $7/yd with my 40% off coupon of course. Since this chair will only be sat on occasionally, I went for the cheap route. If I wind up having to put an upholstery weight fabric on later, at least I will know what I'm doing and may even splurge on nice fabric. I am 99.8% done. I just have to add the double welting around the bottom and front back of the chair. I couldn't wait to post about it until then. So, without further anticipation, drum roll please...........
I'm linking up to the following parties (I'll be editing my post throughout the week to add parties.): Blue Cricket Design