Saturday, September 4, 2010

Pillow mania continued...

I've caught the sewing bug and can't seem to shake it.  I had learned about transferring images onto fabric with CitraSolv over at The Graphics Fairy post here a while ago.  I had already tried it with place mats and it seemed to work out okay.

I decided to try it out on my drop cloth fabric as well as muslin for some frenchy inspirational type pillows.  The process is very simple.  The materials needed are a mirror image laser copy of your image, some sort of strong tape, cotton ball, CitraSolv, a spoon, and a little elbow grease. 


I did have a tough time finding CitraSolv.  I found it at an natural herbal type store. 

First print out your image from your computer.  Next, go and make a mirror image copy using a laser copying machine.  This is important because something from the laser toner cartridge reacts with the CitraSolv.  Then, tape your image face down on your fabric. 


Take your cotton ball with the CitraSolv on it and coat the image.  Be careful not to over soak or the paper will tear. 



Next, burnish with a spoon.  Here are the two different fabrics side by side.


As you can see, the drop cloth didn't turn out quite as good.  I had to go back and trace the words with my fabric pen.  Here is the finished product.


I found from comparing my past place mat project with this that perhaps using the color copier verses the black and white copier made a difference.  Maybe next time, I'll just use the color copier.  I had better results with the image transfer with color.  

I'm linking up with:

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


15 comments:

  1. Wow I had no idea you could do that! They turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. I love it. Super clean! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! We love this idea as well.~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there
    YOur pillows are adorable. The instructions sound relatively easy...however what do you mean by burnish with a spoon? I'm going to see if I can find a bottle of the citrasolve as well. What is normally used for?
    thank you for sharing
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, you have done a great job! I have tried this a few times, but cant find the original citri solv here in australia.. maybe I might try a herbal / natural shop too..
    hope you are having a great weekend,
    Laura curriexx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found CitraSolv on Amazon.com. I ordered a small bottle so I can try this. Thanks for all the tips on the types of copier to use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. I am hosting a 50 dollar CSN Giveaway on my blog. I would love for you to stop by. Thanks Anu!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this on the graphic fairy a while ago too... I bought the citra-solv but have been too busy cleaning with it to make the project! It is my new favorite cleaner. We are actually taking a trip tomorrow so I can buy more, so I can make the prject. Thanks for the tutorial... Yours was easier to follow than GF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome. How did you get the mirror image, just type it in backwards? Lol. I feel dumb asking, like it's probably a totally obvious answer that I can't quite figure out. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial! However, some quick piece of advice: do not ever use something on the Net to translate into French, you get (like here) a number of wrong translations and it can sometimes even give you reasons to blush ;-)
    Thanks for sharing!
    linedupuy(at)hotmail(dot)fr

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really cool. I have done a lot with the citra solv on paper but never fabric. I love your pillows. They both turned out really well. Did the citra solv leave a greasy film on the fabric? Thanks so much for sharing, now I am going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's crazy! I never knew this was possible. It's like a pre-historic photocopier. I wonder how someone realised that this works! Well done, and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I would really enjoy knowing what you think. I love getting your comments!

Followers

Search This Blog