This is my all time favorite make over (as well as my first venture in upholstery). First, let me set the scene. It was another Wednesday at the auction. I spotted an absolute gorgeous set of french twin upholstered bed frames at the auction preview the day before. This was the real deal. I quickly called my sister and told her we had to get these. She was redoing her teenage daughter's room and my daughter was climbing out of her crib so we needed to upgrade her room. She said she was willing to pay no more than $150 for one of the beds. Of course, the beds were being sold together. The bidding war was on. I hadn't planted my money tree (still haven't found one yet) so I was outbid by a vendor. I was so disappointed. Well, me being me, I just had to get something from that set. So, here enters the little french chair bought for only $15.
I know. Gorgeous frame but not so pretty fabric. I thought to myself this should be easy, right?! Well, maybe not so much. I started by painting the frame white. Next, I stripped of the fabric. I found the original horse hair which would have been fine except for all of the dead bugs and larva. So, I thought I would strip it down to the frame and learn as I go.
Well, it isn't as easy to tie down springs as one would think. I mean I had books and videos from the library but just couldn't get it right. So the chair sat for a while being referred to lovingly by hubby as "little nasty." Well, I broke down and had an upholster do just the springs for a whopping $85. Luckily, he had cut seat foam and thrown it in for free. What was going to be an inexpensive project just became priceless. Once back at home, I got to work. I used a drop cloth, purchased from Lowe's, as the fabric. I decided to use tacks. I like the old, imperfect kind of look. Here is the finished product:
This is my favorite photo I've taken of my daughter. Partly because my daughter looks so cute (of course a mother is bias) and the other part is all the work that went into that chair.