Friday, June 25, 2010

Little french chair

This is my all time favorite make over (as well as my first venture in upholstery).  First, let me set the scene.  It was another Wednesday at the auction.  I spotted an absolute gorgeous set of french twin upholstered bed frames at the auction preview the day before.  This was the real deal.  I quickly called my sister and told her we had to get these.  She was redoing her teenage daughter's room and my daughter was climbing out of her crib so we needed to upgrade her room.  She said she was willing to pay no more than $150 for one of the beds.  Of course, the beds were being sold together.  The bidding war was on.  I hadn't planted my money tree (still haven't found one yet) so I was outbid by a vendor.  I was so disappointed.  Well, me being me, I just had to get something from that set.  So, here enters the little french chair bought for only $15.


I know.  Gorgeous frame but not so pretty fabric.  I thought to myself this should be easy, right?!  Well, maybe not so much.  I started by painting the frame white.  Next, I stripped of the fabric.  I found the original horse hair which would have been fine except for all of the dead bugs and larva.  So, I thought I would strip it down to the frame and learn as I go.

Well, it isn't as easy to tie down springs as one would think.  I mean I had books and videos from the library but just couldn't get it right.  So the chair sat for a while being referred to lovingly by hubby as "little nasty."  Well, I broke down and had an upholster do just the springs for a whopping $85.  Luckily, he had cut seat foam and thrown it in for free.  What was going to be an inexpensive project just became priceless.  Once back at home, I got to work.  I used a drop cloth, purchased from Lowe's, as the fabric.  I decided to use tacks.  I like the old, imperfect kind of look.  Here is the finished product:


This is my favorite photo I've taken of my daughter.  Partly because my daughter looks so cute (of course a mother is bias) and the other part is all the work that went into that chair.

She doesn't know it yet but her children will use this chair.  Yes, that is right.  It is now a family heirloom and she better like it!  Let me know what you think.  I'm linking up with Mustard Seed Creations, Finding Fabulous, My Romantic Home, Funky Junk Interiors, and Metamorphosis Monday.  Check them out.

Edited on June 26, 2010 in include link to Funky Junk Interiors and Metamorphosis Monday.

17 comments:

  1. Welcome to Blogland! Just found you through My Romantic Home. I love how your chair turned out. Also your slipcovered sofa looks great too.
    Blogging is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful makeover! And the $85 is well spent, after all the chair only cost $15 -- livestock and all.

    (And at least they were dead!)

    Too bad about the beds -- but if they might have had the same surprise inside the upholstery, maybe not so bad! There are other beds out there.

    Your little one is adorable! Did you make her hat?
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This chair is just absolutely gorgeous! I am now on the hunt for one just like yours!

    Actually, I was looking through the new Southern Living Before & After Special last night and was drooling over a chair that looks JUST like yours!

    And you did it before Southern Living!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! You did very well for your first go. I'm still trying to get up the nerve ha! Your daughter is adorable!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your chair turned out! It's absolutely perfect! What a cutie you have, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job on the chair. Very cute little girl you have there too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your chair is gorgeous, you did such a wonderful job, how wonderful! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saw this at Mustard Seed link, so cute! I am sure you are thinking $85 well spent on the springs, right? I wouldn't even know where to start on doing that! Just looking at the springs makes my head spin. You did an awesome job, and your daughter is adorable, love the pose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Friday! I am stopping by via the linky party.

    Your chair looks utterly charming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great. Stoppin by from Miss Mustard Seeds. Great job on the chair and the gorgeous girlie. She's a doll...you're not just biased. Happy Friday! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous chair and you did a great job on the upholstery...love it. Your daughter is adorable!
    xo, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have never known it was your first time! Great job and it's beautiful. I had to admit I needed help on my chair also and had someone do the upholstery and I did the frame. You can see it here. http://goingalittlecoastal.blogspot.com/2010/06/when-to-let-it-go.html

    Your little girl is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on your chair!

    Your little girl is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a fabulous job. I would love to have a chair like that. Maybe one day. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous chair. And what a gorgeous transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am drooling! That chair is gorgeous and to use canvas was a brilliant idea.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete

I would really enjoy knowing what you think. I love getting your comments!

Followers

Search This Blog