After much persistence (and many grits of sandpaper), I got it as down to as much of the bare wood as I was going to get it.
I started off with a whitewash. It definitely needed more depth. So, next was a gray wash followed by a french linen wash. I did some dry brushing here and there until I was satisfied with the result. I gave the base and apron 2 coats of french linen and wax. To finish up the top, I used a water based polyurethane (3 coats). I much prefer polyurethane over wax. I find it more durable, especially, for a dining table.
Here is the new weathered look.
Take a closer look.
Sharing over at: